What We Mean By Personal Information?Personal information is any information in whatever form about an identifiable individual. However, it does not include:
- your name or information which would enable us to contact You at your place of employment including your name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address, business email and business fax number;
- personal information about You that is publicly available information such as information available from a public registry or contained in a telephone book;
- aggregated information that cannot be associated with You as a specific individual; and
- information which is not about a person but which is about a company, association or another organization.
What Personal Information Does CENTUM Collect?CENTUM collects the following personal information:
- personal information which You voluntarily provide to us when You visit a CENTUM Franchisee or that is otherwise provided to CENTUM, such as by telephone, email, mail or fax; and
Except where permitted by law, CENTUM collects, uses and discloses your personal information with your knowledge and consent and we will do so fairly and openly.
How We Use Your Personal InformationCENTUM uses personal information for the following purposes:
- to put You in touch with a broker or sales person with one of our Franchisees who may contact You to assist You with finding a mortgage;
- to assist the broker or sales person in finding an appropriate mortgage for You; and
Why We Disclose Your Personal Information
- CENTUM discloses personal information when it makes the personal information a person has provided online available to its Franchisees and their brokers and sales people.
CENTUM reserves the right to collect, use and disclose other personal information without your knowledge or consent if we are required to do so or if we are allowed to by law.
ConsentExcept where required or permitted to do so without your consent, CENTUM only collects your personal information with your consent. In most cases, CENTUM relies on express consent. However, where the purpose of the collection of personal information is obvious on its face, CENTUM may rely on your implied or deemed consent.
In some cases, such as using your personal information for marketing services to You, CENTUM will rely on opt-out consent. (You will receive the information unless You advise us You do not wish to receive it.)
CENTUM only collects personal information where it is reasonably necessary to provide the service which You are seeking and which we have agreed to provide. We do not use deceptive or misleading practices to obtain your consent.
CENTUM does not require You to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of personal information as a condition of the supply of a service by us unless such collection, use or disclosure is required to fulfill the aforementioned purposes of collection.
CENTUM reserves the right to collect, use or disclose personal information in certain limited circumstances, without your knowledge and consent, where required or permitted by law.
You may withdraw your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in connection with the services that You have requested from us at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. CENTUM will inform You of the implications of withdrawing your consent. If You wish to withdraw your consent at any time, please contact CENTUM’s Privacy Officer (see below for contact information).
Access To Your Personal InformationYou have the right to access your personal information in the possession or control of CENTUM and to know how that personal information has been and is being used, and to whom it has been disclosed. CENTUM reserves the right to refuse to comply with all or part of a request where we are required to or are permitted to refuse to do so by the provisions of applicable personal information protection legislation.
Applications must be in writing and be sent to our Privacy Officer either by mail or email at the addresses set out below. Applications should have sufficient detail that allows us to identify You and the personal information You are requesting.
You may ask to have errors or omissions in your personal information in our possession or control corrected. If we are satisfied that the correction is reasonably necessary, we will correct the personal information and notify anyone to whom we have provided the personal information in the previous 12 months of the correction. If we are not satisfied that the correction should be made, we will annotate the personal information under our control of the correction requested but not made.
Requests for access and correction will usually be responded to within 30 calendar days of receiving the request unless we apply to the applicable Privacy Commissioner for an extension. We charge $25 plus $.25 per page for providing You with copies of your personal information. In the event that it will take an unusually long time to collect your personal information, we may charge an additional amount. In each case, we will give You a full quote before photocopying the personal information. There is no charge for correcting personal information.
We will assist You with your request and will respond as accurately and completely as reasonably possible. Where we refuse all or part of your request, we will give You the reasons for the refusal and the applicable legislation on which we base our refusal; the name and contact information of someone within CENTUM who can explain the basis for the refusal and of your right to apply to a Privacy Commissioner for review.
How We Protect Personal InformationCENTUM makes reasonable efforts to ensure that Your personal information is protected against loss and unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modifying, disposal or similar risks. This protection applies in relation to personal information stored in both electronic and hard copy form and will vary depending on the sensitivity of the information.
Access to non-public personal information is restricted to selected employees or representatives on a need-to-know basis. In addition, CENTUM employs generally accepted information security techniques, such as firewalls and access control procedures in order to protect personal information against unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modifying, disposal or similar risk.
Retention of Personal InformationCENTUM retains personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected and to comply with applicable laws. Personal information which is collected and used to make a decision about You is retained for at least one year. Your consent to such purpose(s) remains valid after termination of CENTUM’s relationship with You.
You may contact our Privacy Officer as follows:
|CENTUM Financial Group Inc.|
700-1199 West Pender Street
Vancouver, BC Canada V6E 2R1
Dispute ResolutionIf You are unhappy about the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by
CENTUM, we ask that You discuss the matter further with our Privacy Officer.
If You are not satisfied with the response, You may make an application or complaint to the appropriate Privacy Commissioner.
Note to Brokers and Sales PeopleIn order to promote the services of our Franchisees and their brokers and sales people, CENTUM collects certain personal information about them, such as photographs and contact information, in a variety of ways, including through OnlineOffice registration. This information is disclosed by CENTUM when it makes the information available for Customers to access on the Website or through other means by which CENTUM promotes their services.
may collect about You during any interaction with our website (the “Website”).
Types of Personal InformationWe receive two types of personal information from Customers who visit the Website: (1) personal information that Customers provide through registration or other communication on the Website; and (2) personal information CENTUM gathers through aggregated tracking procedures, such as tallying the number of page views throughout the Website over a given period of time. The second type of personal information enables us to tailor the Website content to better meet the needs of our Customers. However, we assure You that CENTUM will not disclose your personal information to third parties except as is permitted by applicable law.
CENTUM and its FranchiseesAs a franchisor, CENTUM does not provide mortgage broker services. Mortgage broker services are provided exclusively by CENTUM franchisees (“Franchisees”). Each Franchisee is an independently owned and operated mortgage broker business. Customers applying for mortgage services through the Website apply through a Franchisee, not through CENTUM. While CENTUM has undertaken extensive measures to control and ensure the privacy and security of personal information obtained through the Website, it does not own or control the operations of its Franchisees. Customers who have concerns about the treatment of their personal information by a Franchisee with which they are dealing are urged to contact that Franchisee directly.
How Does CENTUM Collect Personal Information?
Use of IP Addresses: An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever You are surfing the Internet. Web servers automatically identify your computer by its IP address.
CENTUM and/or its affiliates collect IP addresses for the purposes of system administration, to report aggregated information to our advertisers, and to audit the use of the Website. When Customers request pages from the Website, our servers log the requesting Customers’ IP addresses. Except where You participate in any online transaction CENTUM may offer from time to time, we normally will not link IP addresses to anything personally identifiable, which means that Customers’ sessions will be logged, but Customer identity remains anonymous to us. We can and will use IP addresses to identify a Customer when we feel it is necessary to enforce compliance with our rules or terms of service or to protect our service, the Website, or any person, or where it is otherwise permitted by law.
By showing how and when Customers use the Website, cookies help us see which areas are popular and which are not. Many improvements and updates to the Website are based on data collected using cookies, such as the total number of visitors and pages viewed in a given period of time. This kind of information is most easily tracked using cookies.
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. You can reset your Web browser to either refuse all cookies or indicate when a cookie is being sent, with a concurrent option to accept or receive the cookie. However, note that some of the services offered on the Website will not function properly or may be considerably slower if You refuse to receive cookies. For example, without cookies, You will not be able to set personalized preferences. You might also encounter difficulties participating in online transactions offered on the Website from time to time.
Occasionally, You may receive cookies from our advertisers. CENTUM and/or its affiliates do not control these cookies. The use of advertising cookies sent by third-party servers is standard in the Internet industry.
Other: We automatically collect anonymous statistical information regarding usage of the Website. For instance, our Website will recognize the type of browser You are using (Netscape or Internet Explorer), the address of the Internet Service Provider you are using, the site that linked You to the Website, the pages You visit at the Website and similar information.None of this information identifies You personally.
- Use of IP Addresses: An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever You are surfing the Internet. Web servers automatically identify your computer by its IP address.
With Whom Does CENTUM Share Your Personal Information?As a general rule, CENTUM will not disclose any of your personal information except when we have your permission or under special circumstances, such as when we believe in good faith that the law requires it or under other specified circumstances, including those described below:
- Business Partners & Sponsors: CENTUM may disclose some or all your personal information to business partners or sponsors, but this use will be specifically described to You prior to either the collection or transfer of the personal information. Many promotions offer opportunities to request additional information from sponsors. By requesting more information, You give CENTUM permission to transfer your personal information to the sponsor so they can fulfill your request. In many instances, only your e-mail address will be shared with the sponsor. If we intend on sharing more personal information with the sponsor than your e-mail, You will be notified prior to the transfer.
- Third Party Data and Data in the Aggregate: From time to time, on the Website You may be offered the opportunity to receive material or special offers from third parties. If You opt to receive information from these third parties, CENTUM will (with your permission) share your name and e-mail address with such third parties. Under confidentiality agreements, CENTUM may match Customer information with third party data. Also, CENTUM may disclose aggregated Customer statistics (i.e., where we disclose a characteristic of our Customers as a group and not as individuals) in order to describe our services to prospective partners, advertisers, and other third parties, and for other lawful purposes.
- Service Providers: Information CENTUM receives through the Website is provided to service providers retained by CENTUM including Filogix Inc. , Axiom Innovations Inc. and WhereToLive.com, Inc., in order to organize and distribute appropriate personal information to enable CENTUM and its Franchisees to communicate with its Customers and to provide information about marketing initiatives that may be of interest to its Customers.
CENTUM Privacy Officer
700-1199 West Pender St. Vancouver, B.C.
Canada V6E 2R1
Phone: (604) 257-3940
Fax: (604) 257-3949
What happens when You link to a Third Party Website?You should be aware that when You are on the Website You could be directed to other third party websites that are beyond our control. There may, from time to time, be links to other third party websites from the Website that take You outside our service areas. For example, if You “click” on a banner advertisement on the Website, the “click” typically takes You off the Website. These other sites may include websites of advertisers, sponsors and partners that may use CENTUM’s and/or its affiliates’ and/or its Franchisees’ logos as part of a co-branding agreement. These other websites may send their own cookies to Customers, or otherwise collect data or solicit information.
Please keep in mind that whenever You give out personal information online (for example, via message boards or chat lines), that personal information can be collected and used by people You do not know. While CENTUM and its affiliates strive to protect their Customers’ personal information and privacy, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information You disclose online and so You disclose such information at your own risk.